If your home has been severely damaged in a flood, the process of cleaning up and repairing the damage can seem insurmountable. You’ve likely never been in a situation like this and it’s difficult to know where to turn and what to do next. However, it’s important to act quickly, before water damage leads to a hazardous mold and mildew problem.
What To Do After A Flood
Although it may be tempting to just ignore the situation for a few days (or weeks), it’s important to address flood damage quickly and efficiently. Once you’ve determined that everyone in your household is safe and unharmed (and that includes your pets), it’s time to start the flood damage restoration process. Below are the steps you’ll want to take to get started:
- Call your insurance company. The first thing you need to do to begin the flood damage restoration process is to call your insurance company, report the damage and file a claim.
- Check the building for structural damage. Before you re-enter your home, check around the perimeter of the building for any structural damage. The power of water can be fierce and you don’t want you or your family to be trapped inside a collapsed building.
- Take photos. Before you begin any cleanup or hire a flood damage restoration company, take ample pictures of any damage to your building and to your personal property.
- Take inventory. It’s important to keep track of all of the damaged items before you or the flood restoration company start to discard damaged items. You’ll need this list for your insurance claim.
- Hire a flood damage restoration company. Cleaning up from flood damage is too big a project to handle alone. After all, you have a job and a family to look after, too. A good flood damage restoration company can help get your home looking like it did before the flood quickly and efficiently. Such companies also know where to look to find potential mold and mildew issues before they can spread.
- Get an OK from an electrician. Before you turn your power back on after the flood or use any electrical devices, be sure to get an “all clear” from an electrician. Your flood damage restoration company can help you with this.
- Remove wet items immediately. Getting as much wet items out of the house is important to controlling mold and mildew. Mold can form in as few as three days.
Flood Damage Repair From Action Restoration
Recovering from flood damage may seem impossible right after it happens, but with the right flood damage restoration company and a little time and effort, you’re home will be safe, sound and healthy once again.
At Action Restoration, we are a full service flood and water damage restoration company. With more than 100 full time employees and the most advanced restoration equipment available, we can handle any restoration project, residential or commercial, in the Gulf Coast region and are available 24/7 with emergency disaster response services. We’ll even help you file your insurance paperwork so your claim is filed more quickly and accurately!
Contact us today to get started!