Mold in your home or workplace can pose a number of serious health risks that you may not automatically associate with mold exposure. Mold is present almost everywhere, but it is not always harmful—penicillin for example. Others, like black mold, can be quite toxic and have severe negative health consequences for those who are exposed to it. Mold can trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks in those who have asthma or other respiratory issues. Flu-like symptoms, fatigue, severe migraines, nosebleeds, dizziness, and more can all be attributed to excess mold exposure, but those who experience these conditions often believe they are simply sick or tired, completely unaware that mold is the cause of their ailments. If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, it is possible that mold is the cause. So how do you know for sure? Follow these five steps to determine if mold is causing adverse health conditions for your family or employees:
- Hire a certified mold inspection and remediation company to evaluate your home to determine if you have a mold problem.
- If a mold problem is found, have the area isolated until mold removal can be performed.
- Do not attempt to remove the mold yourself. Mold removal is best left to professionals who have the proper safety equipment and tools to ensure the mold is cleaned up correctly without stirring it up and allowing it to spread to other areas of the home.
- Fix the problem that caused the mold. If the cause of your mold is a broken pipe, cracked foundation, or leaky roof make sure these are repaired to prevent regrowth.
- Take steps to prevent mold growth. Regularly check for mold growth, especially in areas where moisture is common. Install air filters that are capable of capturing and killing mold to reduce the amount of mold distributed by your HVAC system.