If you are a pet owner, you know how important your pets are to you, they quickly become a big part of your life. When you plan for events such as disasters, it is good to have a plan, including a plan for pet safety during natural disasters. Quite pet safety during natural disasters is forgotten and this can become a major stress on top of what is already a stressful event.
In the sections below, we will discuss how to prepare to pet safety during natural disasters and supplies that could come in handy in the event that you are facing a catastrophic situation.
How To Prepare Ahead for Pet Safety During Natural Disasters
The first thing you will want to do is to come up with a plan that is simple to follow, in the event of a natural disaster. Here are some things you may want to consider for pet safety during natural disasters.
- Be sure that your pet always has up to date tags on with phone numbers and contact information.
- Have a comfortable carrier for each of your household pets and get your pet comfortable with being in the carrier, prior to an event occurring.
- You may need to transport your pet, so it is a good idea that they are used to being transported by car.
- There are a lot of emergency shelters that don’t take pets, making arrangements ahead of time, which include a pet friendly place to stay can help, or you can stay in your home with your pet.
- If you choose to shelter in your home, you will want to make sure you have a kit with food and water, for both yourself and your pet. Choose a room that is pet friendly and away from what is happening outside.
What To Have Close By For Pet Safety During Natural Disasters
You may want to prepare a kit especially for pet safety during natural disasters and keep it in a place such as the coat closet, which is close to the front door. Here are some things you may want to place in the kit.
- Food, if it is canned food remember to add a can opener.
- Litter box and litter for cats and poop bags for dogs.
- Paper towels and bleach can come in handy to clean up any incidents.
- Add a good leash or harness so that you can constrain your pet if needed.
- Toys or bedding can be added, this will help your pet stay comfortable.
- You may want to keep a copy of your pets health records in the kit too.
Find Out Where You Can Take Your Pet for Pet Safety During Natural Disasters
If you have to leave your home and you have no other place to go, except for a shelter that will not allow animals, then knowing ahead of time where to take your pet can help. Contact your local vet and ask about pet safety during natural disasters, they may have boarding and safety suggestions. You can also search for hotels that will accept animals, or ask friends and family outside of the area if they would be willing to let your pet stay. Planning ahead for pet safety during natural disasters, can help keep both you and your pet safe.
Disaster Recovery in the Gulf Coast Region
Action Restoration are restoration experts and can help you get back into the safety of your home quickly. We can help you with water damage, storm damage, and fire damage. Helping you remove the danger from your home, restoring it to a healthy and happy place to live.