We know you have a lot of questions after a natural disaster strikes your home or business. Here are answers to some of the questions we most frequently hear from people just like you.
Who should I call first after a natural disaster damages my home or business?
While you’ll want to contact your insurance company as soon as possible, it can be difficult to connect with someone quickly after a major disaster. It’s best to contact a water, mold, and fire damage restoration service when you realize your Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, or Florida property has suffered damage. As the property owner, you are responsible for preventing damage from spreading or becoming worse.
What do disaster relief, repair, and restoration services cover?
As experts in property damage restoration, Action Restoration will guide you through the complexity of the restoration process. Our disaster response services include content restoration, storm damage repair, hail repair, hurricane damage repair, flood cleanup, and more. We also offer mold remediation and decontamination services.
All our services are designed to stop any damage from spreading or getting worse. If necessary, we secure and board up your property, extract water, install drying and dehumidification equipment, and perform any other service that meets industry regulations and best practices. And unlike many others in our industry, we own all our equipment, so you never have to wait for it to be available.
How do I file a claim for disaster damage to my home or business?
Contact your insurer and be sure to have your policy number ready. Document the damage by taking photographs and or videos. Make or dictate a list of damaged or lost items. Your insurance adjuster will help you prepare any paperwork needed to file a claim. Don’t forget to contact your vehicle insurance company if your car or truck has been damaged. The experienced staff at Action Restoration can also help you gather the information you need to make a claim.
What should I do immediately after a flood?
Once you contact a disaster restoration company, there are several things you can do yourself after a flood.
- Throw away anything you can’t dry or clean quickly.
- Prevent mosquito breeding by removing trash, clutter, and standing water in containers like flower pots, trash bins, and pet dishes.
- Organize debris like tree limbs, carpeting, and bulk waste for sanitation pickup.
Are there any sanitation steps I should take after a natural disaster?
Yes, there are several steps you can take to mitigate disaster-related health issues before a professional team can come out.
- If there’s a boil-water advisory in effect, be sure to boil water for at least one minute before use.
- If you or anyone else has one or more open cuts or sores, immediately clean them with soap and clean water. Follow up by applying an antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
- If possible, wash all garments worn during the cleanup in hot water and detergent. Keep these items separate from regular clothes, towels, and linens.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else becomes injured or ill.
- If the power is out, keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Throw away perishable food once the power has been out for four hours or more.
Have more questions on disaster recovery services for your Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, or Texas home or business? Contact Action Restoration online today or call us at (800) 760-9081 to learn more or schedule services.