Whether you have experienced water damage from flooding rains or from a burst pipe or leaky appliances, your health may be at risk if you do not deal with it immediately and correctly.
Major water damage can lead to foul odors, poor indoor air quality, and most importantly–toxic mold growth. Mold resulting from water damage can have significant health impacts, especially on those with compromised immune systems or asthma.
Mold can trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks in those who have asthma or other respiratory issues. Flu-like symptoms, fatigue, severe migraines, nosebleeds, dizziness, and more can all be attributed to excess mold exposure, but those who experience these conditions often believe they are simply sick or tired, completely unaware that mold is the cause of their ailments. If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, it is possible that mold is the cause, and extremely likely if these symptoms begin following flooding rains or a pipe burst in your home or business.
How To Know If You Have Mold
Suspect you have mold but want to know for sure? Follow these five steps to determine if mold is causing adverse health conditions for your family or employees:
- Hire a certified mold inspection and remediation company to evaluate your home to determine if you have a mold problem.
- If a mold problem is found, have the area isolated until mold removal can be performed.
- Do not attempt to remove the mold yourself. Mold removal is best left to professionals who have the proper safety equipment and tools to ensure the mold is cleaned up correctly without stirring it up and allowing it to spread to other areas of the home.
- Fix the problem that caused the mold. If the cause of your mold is a broken pipe, cracked foundation, or leaky roof make sure these are repaired to prevent regrowth.
- Take steps to prevent mold growth. Regularly check for mold growth, especially in areas where moisture is common. Install air filters that are capable of capturing and killing mold to reduce the amount of mold distributed by your HVAC system.
Preventing Mold After A Water Damage Event
Moisture is required for mold to grow, so the key to preventing mold growth is to dry or remove the items impacted by water damage.
Some items can simply be dried, but many components of a structure must be removed and replaced to prevent mold growth. Drywall and carpet almost always require removal and replacement for severe water damage events.
Framing can often be salvaged, but commercial quality dehumidifiers and heating equipment will need to be brought in to expedite the drying process to prevent more serious damage.
They key to preventing unabated mold growth after water damage has occurred is to immediately contact a water damage restoration company. A professional restoration company will have the experience and equipment required to minimize damage and get your home back to normal as quickly as possible.
Mold Removal in the Gulf Coast Region
If you need mold removal at your home or business in the Gulf Coast region, contact Action Restoration today! We will provide you with a comprehensive assessment of the mold damage that has been done to your property and an estimate of the cost and amount of time it will take to repair. We will assist you with your insurance claims to ensure that everything is filed correctly so that your repairs can begin as quickly as possible.