Mold is one of the most resiliant and adaptable organisms on the planet. It can be found almost anywhere and can grow on virtually any surface. To make matters worse, mold grows best in areas where there is no or limited visibility. This can allow mold to grow uncontrollably. which can create negative health impacts in your home or business.
While minor mold infestations can be cleaned on your own, large growth areas require professional remediation work to ensure that mold spores are back to a healthy level.
If you notice a small area of mold growth in your home or business, you can likely handle the situation yourself as long as the growth is 10 square feet or smaller in size. Although we recommend having an environmentalist come out to your property for a thorough inspection to ensure the growth is not more prevalent than that, if you opt to handle the mold removal yourself, use these tips and techniques:
- Be Safe – wear rubber gloves, a mask, and eye protection to prevent mold spores from getting into your body.
- Fix the Root Cause of the Problem – removing mold is a pointless endeavor if you do nothing to eliminate the source of the mold. For example, if a pipe leak create the environment for mold growth to thrive, fix the leak to prevent the problem from occurring again.
- Dry All Surfaces Complete – mold thrives in moist conditions, so drying all surfaces will help prevent regrowth.
- Replace Porous Materials – porous materials that absorb and harbor moisture and mold often cannot be adequately cleaned to remove the mold. These items must be replaced. Ceiling tiles, drywall, and carpet for example will need to be removed and replaced.
- Scrub All Surfaces Thoroughly – for hard materials that do not need to be replaced, scrub the mold off with a scrub brush dipped in warm water and detergent. Be sure to remove the mold completely before applying paint or caulk.
Knowing When Professional Cleanup is Necessary
As we mentioned earlier, mold growth less than 10 square feet in area can generally be handled yourself, but larger areas of growth require professional remediation. These are some of the instances in which professional cleanup and remediation is absolutely necessary:
- Flood Damage – if your home has been exposed to a great amount of water, whether from a natural flood or a broken pipe that has flooded your home, mold growth will likely occur inside the walls of your home, in the air ducts, and in other hidden areas long after the water has been removed. In these instances, professional mold remediation is vital to ensure that your home or business and healthy and safe.
- HVAC Contamination – HVAC ducts can harbor moisture, making them an ideal environment for mold growth. This is especially harmful because when your HVAC system is running, it spreads mold all over the building and can create serious negative health risks. Properly cleaning the ductwork will require a trained professional.
- Sewage – if your home or business experiences sewage backup, a number of health issues can occur, both from mold growth and other harmful pathogens that may have been exposed to your property.
Professional Mold Cleanup in The Gulf Coast Region
If you need mold removal at your home or business in the Gulf Coast region, contact Action Restoration today! We will provide you with a comprehensive assessment of the mold damage that has been done to your property and an estimate of the cost and amount of time it will take to repair. We will assist you with your insurance claims to ensure that everything is filed correctly so that your repairs can begin as quickly as possible.