If you have recently experienced water damage at your home or business and your carpet is wet, quickly cleaning and drying the carpet is essential if you want to have any hope of preserving the carpet. In most cases, carpet cannot be salvaged if it has experienced any kind of significant flooding unless you act quickly–and if it is flooded by anything other than a burst water pipe, it can never be salvaged.
Quickly drying the carpet is critical to preventing the growth of mold, mildew, or bacteria that can have negative health consequences on the occupants of the property.
There are several methods used to improve drying time, but at the end of the day, carpet drying is all a matter of physics. Water can only evaporate if humidity levels are low, so it is vital that you create an environment in which water can quickly and efficiently be evaporated from the carpet and removed from the structure.
Carpet Drying Methods
- Ceiling fans – Ceiling fans help to circulate the air. Moving air will help with faster drying times.
- Box or stand Fans – Like ceiling fans, these will help move air around, decreasing drying times.
- Open doors & windows – Opening doors and windows will help to reduce the humidity in your structure and circulate the air, improving drying times.
- Dehumidifiers – Dehumidifiers will remove humidity from the air, allowing your carpet to dry more quickly. If humidity levels are high, water will not be able to evaporate into the air.
- Space heaters – Space heaters can warm and dry out the air, speeding up drying times. Be careful not to place space heaters in areas that are saturated with moisture, however.
Of course, none of these methods will be nearly as effective as the equipment used by professional water extraction and water damage restoration companies. If you have major water damage, do not attempt to extract it yourself. You will not have the equipment necessary to thoroughly extract and dry the carpet before serious damage has occurred.
Water Damage Restoration From Action Restoration
If you have experienced water damage at your home or business in the U.S. Gulf Coast region, contact Action Restoration today! Our air drying equipment is state-of-the-art and can get your facility clean and dry faster than you can on your own. We will provide you with a comprehensive assessment of the damage that has been done to your property and an estimate of the cost and amount of time it will take to repair. We will assist you with your insurance claims to ensure that everything is filed correctly so that your repairs can begin as quickly as possible.
Action Restoration provides water damage repair in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, and Alabama.